Monday, November 16, 2009

Chinese Coins - Guatemala Quilt Project



This series of quilts using the traditional Chinese Coins design was again inspired by the Gee's Bend Quilts.  My friend Pat was visiting from Alaska when we made the first quilt pictured here, based on "Stacked Bricks" made by Nettie Young in 1928 (see page 45 of Gee's Bend: The Women and Their Quilts, Tinwood Books and the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, 2002).  Pat cut and arranged strips and ironed while I did the power sewing.  We constructed the top in one long fun-filled day.  I later made two more Chinese Coins quilts based on Nettie Young's "Stacked Bricks" and also on "Stacked Bricks" by Rachael Carey George (see p. 352).




Since I completed these quilts, I've gotten into the habit of cutting all my scraps into 10" long strips, 3/4" to 3" in width, as I'm cutting for other projects.  Whenever I have a leftover scrap too small to put back on the shelf, I cut it into strips. I store these strips in a pizza box.  When I want to construct a Chinese Coins border or quilt of a certain color, I just go through the box, and usually have enough strips already cut to complete what I have planned.  I've finished up quite a few UFO's with Chinese Coins borders.  I'll have photos of those in another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment