Monday, January 10, 2011

Collage


I'm taking an Aqueous Media painting class from Susan Cowan this quarter at Clark College in Vancouver, Washington.  Our first class was last Monday.  We did quick collages from torn magazine pages.  I had fun!  I did these top three collages in about 30 minutes.  (Sorry about the glare in the photos.) They are not meant to be anything but studies.  We were supposed to paint over these compositions or add some type of painted embellishment.  I didn't get that far.  But I think this may be a good exercise for me to continue.  It gives me ideas for quilt composition and for color palettes for the Fabric Club.



When I got home, I dug out some collages I did in a Liz Axford's "Attention to Detail" class in Anchorage in 1999.  I was surprised that I was able to find them easily.  The first one was an abstraction of a photo of a ferris wheel at February's Fur Rendezvous in Anchorage.  I remember how cold it was that day taking photos.  I had to keep my manual, pre-digital camera inside my coat to keep the film and the camera mechanisms from freezing!  It's fun to look at these collages below which I did in 1999, and the ones above which I did this week.  I think it's easy to tell that they're all mine. Something about the composition and design sense makes them mine, although I can't quite put a finger on what that essence is.  I seem to be drawn toward color, texture, and composition more than images.  I did another four collages during the week.  I'll post those as soon as I photograph them.  Now off to painting class.  We'll see what's in store.




No comments:

Post a Comment